Welcome to the website of the Canadian Injured Workers Association of Alberta.
***We are publishing a blog again! Please check out the blog section of the top menu for our latest posts.***
The Be Human WCB Campaign has launched! For more information, visit our News page. The campaign was featured on Alberta Prime Time – view the clip here!
WCB Review Panel Updates are here.
On behalf of all CIWAA members and the board we would like to thank the many injured workers and families, and our many allies who continue to stand beside CIWAA in an effort to make Alberta a safer place to work and to help fix what is broken with the WCB.
Now it’s our turn to keep the momentum going.
The deadline has been extended until January 9 to make sure our voices are heard by the WCB Review Panel!
You can participate by:
– Spreading and sharing the BE HUMAN WCB campaign (www.BeHumanWCB.ca)
– Sending in your story
– Spreading the petition
– Having your doctor send in their experience anonymously, or they can go in a group and receive safety . Request your anonymity .
We need to keep bringing systemic problems to the forefront so they can be looked into:
– Old claims must be re-opened if they have been denied on personal bought opinions, instead of using medical evidence
– Qualified people must make medical and life decisions, not a clerk
– WCB staff and Medical should not be receiving incentive bonuses to keep legitimate claims denied
– Language changes are needed in policy. MUST and SHALL instead of weaker language that allows for unjust treatment of injured workers
– An external watch dog is needed to monitor everyday practices, with enforcement to ensure just treatment and penalties for failing to do so
– The Meredith Principles seems to be overlooked and the corruption that happens within the WCB is swept under the rug
Let us know what you would like to see on the Website. If you have an informative article please send it and we will put it up.
***New information has been added to the Workers Compensation Board (WCB) Review website – Working Together Progress Report. Follow this link to review the Chair’s blog and the Report. Click here to download CIWAA’s written submission (PDF format).
Here is a video of Premier Rachel Notley speaking at our Injured Workers Rally in 2012, long before she was elected Premier. She speaks of many important things that need to be done to revise the WCB:
A Injury To One Is An Injury To All! Please tell the government this abuse must stop.
Signed petitions should be returned to:
c/o Alberta Workers Health Centre
#600, 12323 Stony Plain Road
Edmonton, Alberta T5N 3Y5
We would like to present this petition to Premier Notley.